ArchiveCategory Archives for "Prepper Checklist"
Every prepper needs to have a prepper checklist to make sure they’re ready for any situation.
Ever wondered if you live close to a potential nuclear target?Even if you live in a small town or rural area... don't think you are safe. Not all strategic targets are in heavily populated areas. Find out if your county is close to ground zero.
Every prepper needs to have a prepper checklist to make sure they’re ready for any situation.
Where should you be setting your priorities in a survival situation?
Survivalist and preppers understand that the essentials must be covered in order to sustain them should there be a catastrophic event. Sure, planning has gone into making a bug out bag and there have been some skills which have been honed in order to achieve this, but which element should be the top of the top? Should you focus on your food or your water as your main priority?
The Easy Answer
Focus on Shelter. This may come as a shock to some people, but the reality of the situation is that you have already acquired your water for the first 5 days. Granted, this will not sustain you for the long run and you will need to find a water source, but if you have done your prepping and planning strategically (meaning that you have not waited until a catastrophic event has occurred) you already have located a sustainable water source.
What would cause you to need to find alternate shelter from your plan?
Your disaster preparedness plan should have a definitive location for your shelter and your water. However, the area can become compromised based upon several factors. These can include:
Shelter should be sought over water as the environment is going to be harsh. As you are looking for an area in which to live, simply finding a spot that has water is not going to be sufficient. You need to ensure that there is a food source, water, a means of getting out quick if needed, tactical advantages, vantage points, the proximity to dangers, egresses, natural lighting, and the condition of the soil (just to name a few). Now, keep in mind that during a catastrophic event, you will be battling against the terrain as well as everyone else to find a spot. The best solution: Find multiple spots prior to an event occurring.
The more difficult answer
Where shelter is a priority and will need to be found in order to keep you from over exertion, dehydration, as well as provide the basic functionality of a shelter, water may be the top priority depending upon the conditions. Should an event occur and the heat index rise to a substantial level you will need to find water and find it quickly. Granted, you will need to find a shelter to keep from getting sunburned and dehydrated, but without water you will die anyway.
You should not spend more than 2 days looking for shelter. If you have to think of water vs shelter and you have a 5 day pack, you need to ensure that you will be able to allot time to finding water. If after the end of 2 days you have not found s sustainable shelter, you will need to just make do with what is available and seek out some sustainable water. You do NOT want to totally deplete your bug out bags water prior to finding a renewable source of water.
It’s all about the location
Finally, when you are thinking about your survival plan consider where your plan is located. Are you depending on wilderness survival? If so, you will need to focus on the shelter first, as water is more abundant in the wilderness (usually). Are you planning for urban survival? Water will be your main priority as there will be plenty of abandon buildings and structures which you can choose to take shelter in. Look for residences with external water heaters as a quick way to gain access to stored and safe water.
Be prepared and you will not have to prioritize
Where you cannot fully plan for the worst situation, you can be prepared to survive. Preppers and survivalist who have a plan and a backup plan or two should have a few locations selected in various locations which provide ample shelter as well as have a natural water source. Bug out bags should be equipped with tarps and water to provide for immediate shelter and water if needed, but these should be understood to be temporary solutions. Bags which have water straws and water filters can maximize the time that a person can look for a shelter or a route to their bug out location. Do not limit yourself to one plan or have your location around one main river (For example: you would not want to have 15 locations picked along the Mississippi River. If the river becomes polluted to the point of not being able to use it you have 15 useless locations). Diversify your locations around several natural water supplies to maximize your potential for one of the locations to be functional in a catastrophic event.
It is in the best interest of the prepper/survivalist to perform checks on their shelter and water locations. Revamp your plan if you find weaknesses in your plan or if the shelter and water desirability change (for example a 4 lane highway is constructed cutting you off from accessing your shelter without compromising your safety). Prepare, plan, re-plan, and you should survive.
We all know what solar power means, it’s the power that’s obtained by harnessing the energy of the sun’s light rays.
In other words, solar power is the conversion of sunlight into electricity through two methods.
This can be done either directly through photovoltaics (PV) or indirectly through concentrated solar power (CSP).
If we talk about the benefits of solar power for our society, there are countless, but the following are some of the most important reasons why solar power is so important and in how many ways it can be implemented:
The initial installation of solar panels costs quite a bit.
But do not think of it as an expense, but rather an investment.
Once operational, you will have lifetime savings on your electricity bills.
In addition, it will also provide a way to pay back on your initial investment.
The only pollution that will occur will be during the manufacturing process of the solar panels, and other than that, solar panels do not contribute to pollution in any way.
Hence, solar power proves to be a prevention method for both air pollution and global warming.
You know how you always hear about the power shortages and fluctuations of electricity in remote areas because it’s like almost impossible, impractical and uneconomical to install a mains electricity supply?
Solar power is ideal for such areas as it’s cheap and of course due to the fact that sunlight touches every inch on earth is enough to tell you that there won’t be a problem if you install a solar panel in remote locations.
Sunlight is there, Right? That’s all you’re ever going to need.
So unless doomsday finally does arrive, you will have constant access to electricity.
You wouldn’t be surprised to know this but solar power is power generated by the sun and the sun goes down at night and comes back up in the day so that’s why its renewable. And it will go on like this as long as life can be supported on earth.
As long as you are sure that the sun will rise again tomorrow, you don’t need to sweat.
Electricity panels cause a lot of noise and that’s why people try to find homes far away from them, which causes a lot of domestic issues.
Installing solar panels guarantees that there will be no noise or pollution, which means that you can build or purchase a set of solar panels so that you don’t have to face excessive noise, and in the long run, do not contribute to the deterioration of the ozone layer.
Furthermore, noise pollution is also one of the biggest reasons behind global warming, so solar power proves to be an effective preventive method for both noise pollution and global warming.
Solar panels require very little maintenance since there are no motive parts in solar panels, there are very fewer chances of things to go wrong with a system that’s been installed professionally with the best components.
They are maintained by being cleaned annually which can be easily done by the property owner depending on where they have been installed.
Fossil fuels are non-renewable fuels so you can guarantee that they are going to run out one day and that’s where solar energy proves that it’s a more suitable sort of energy for off-grid living and long-term survival.
But just for the sake of debate, we can also install many technologies to prolong the lifetime of fossil fuels on earth, though it can get very time to consume and tedious.
So Alternative energy sources really are the future, you just need to start tapping into their resourceful properties effectively.
Solar panels are long-lasting and durable, which means that getting them installed for once will serve a lifelong purpose.
With proper maintenance and care, the panels won’t need a lot of upkeep, which is very helpful if you have a busy lifestyle.
The fact that it comes from a natural source tells us enough about that it’s not going to be harmful.
We are human beings and we know that life of any sort is not possible without sunlight. And being able to obtain electricity from a natural source and knowing that it’s unlimited is a blessing from God.
The burning of fossil fuels is a threat the environment in two ways:
And this should make you rethink your survivalist capabilities objectively. Solar power can benefit us in more ways than we can imagine or that have been mentioned above.
As the world quickly keeps running out of resources and power needed to sustain our lives, we need to start rethinking our disaster survival strategies.
We decided it would be a great idea to put together a top 20 list of the best websites for Survivalists. This is what we’ve come up with from our research and we wanted to provide you with the best information possible.
So here you are!
1. Graywolf Survival – http://graywolfsurvival.com/%20
– One of the most popular survivalist sites, Graywolfsurvival is informative and easy to navigate.
2. American Preppers Network – http://americanpreppersnetwork.com
– This website caters to a wide range of preppers. From novices to seasoned survivalists, this site contains information for everybody, as well as a blog to help you pick up tips from other preppers.
3. The Prepper Journal – http://www.theprepperjournal.com/%20
– This site is very thorough and has a wealth of information, particularly for those who don’t know where to begin. The attractive layout is an added bonus.
4. Sovereign Survival – //tipsforsurvivalists.com/%20
– This site is particularly helpful for preppers with families, and is chock full of links to other resources across the web. Great for people at any experience level, particularly those with small children.
5. The Survival Mom – http://thesurvivalmom.com/%20
– While this site appears to cater to women, don’t let the name fool you! This site is great for beginners of all genders who want tips on organization, prepping food, and keeping your kids entertained in the event of a crisis.
6. Doom and Bloom – http://www.doomandbloom.net/%20
– Doom and Bloom is both fun and informational –containing helpful articles as well as a radio channel where you can tune in and get helpful survivalist tips.
7. Off Grid Survival – http://offgridsurvival.com
– While this site is not super heavy on tips for beginners, it is a wealth of knowledge in terms of related news stories and information on practical gear.
8. Survival Spot – http://www.survival-spot.com
– This site is attractive and well laid out, but is recommended for those who already have base-level knowledge; otherwise the high-tech advice could bury a beginner.
9. Prepping To Survive – http://preppingtosurvive.com/%20
– Where most prepping websites focus on disaster related preparedness, this one targets wilderness survival in general, and is great for the adventurer who wants to be ready in case of emergency.
10. Prepper Resources – http://www.prepper-resources.com/%20
– This resource is not only provides information on prepping basics and gun safety, it will also link you to other sites on the web that can expand your knowledge.
11. Survival Cache – http://survivalcache.com/%20
– While it does contains articles on storing food and water, this site’s main focus is weaponry. While it may seem extreme to some, it is an often overlooked aspect of being prepared.
12. SGT Report – http://sgtreport.com/
– This website is less about active survival tips and more about the danger we are facing on a daily basis – however, it can be helpful to train yourself to know the warning signs of crisis.
13. The Prepared Ninja – http://www.thepreparedninja.com/
– A short, simple, and well-organized blog for those who understand the fundamentals, but need help with practical execution.
14. Authorized Boots – http://authorizedboots.com/
– Authorized Boots is for all things related to Army boots and tactical gear. They provide their expertise as well as team’s insights to provide high quality reviews of your favorite army boots based on their experience, opinions, and relentless research to be a trusted source in your purchase journey.
15. The Organic Prepper – http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/%20
– This website is very beginner friendly, but also focuses more on an eco-friendly approach to survivalism. The blogger has several other sites that are related to prepping.
16. Backdoor Survival – http://www.backdoorsurvival.com
– While this site is slightly more difficult to navigate, it has a wealth of in-depth preparation tips, particularly for those with large families and those who want tips on training their mind as well as their bug-out bags.
17. Survival Blog – http://survivalblog.com/%20
– Where some sites are a little skimpy, this site has almost an overload of information; however, it is very organized, and has information that appeals to all level of prepper.
18. Survival MD – http://survivalmd.org
– This website has the only complete medical field survival guide for the laymen…showing you how to treat yourself and loved ones in an emergency when doctors, pharmacies and hospitals are shut down.
19. Suburban Prepper – http://www.suburbanprepper.com/blog/
– Suburban prepper has a few tips for those who are a little more outdoors-y.
20. Blackout USA – http://blackoutusa.org
– This site is all about educating you about a threat so powerful it will wipe out 281 million Americans in the first year. And while NASA, the CIA and the Pentagon are warning us like crazy…no mainstream T.V. or radio outlet is talking about it.