21 Life Lessons from James Bond
Image source: Wikipedia
21 Life Lessons from James Bond
James Bond is arguably the world’s most famous spy. He always has a witty one-liner, he manages to get out of even the trickiest of situations, and somehow, at the end of the day, he still has time and class to seduce any woman he lays his eyes on.
While it’s his debonair attitude that sells movies, it’s his levelheadedness, cleverness, resourcefulness, and loyalty that make him a worthy role model.
Not Just on Her Majesty’s Service Anymore: James Bond Works for You Too
Implementing some of these lessons can you get into the mindset of a spy. James Bond isn’t just protecting queen and country; he’s also protecting you.
1. “Never let them see you bleed.” James Bond Teaches About Pride
This quote, from The World is Not Enough, is actually courtesy of Q. Here, Q teaches us that it’s important to lick your wounds in private, both to save face and to keep your enemies from knowing your weak points.
2. “Always have an escape plan.” James Bond on Thinking-Ahead
Courtesy of Q in The World is Not Enough, James always knows what’s next, which gives him the upper hand. When it comes to you in your life, it’s good to know where you’re headed, regardless of where you are.
Always be one-step ahead.
3. “I always enjoyed learning a new tongue.” James Bond Teaches Us About Communication
In Tomorrow Never Dies, Bond quips on the joys of learning another language.
The more people you can communicate with, the better.
Written skills, verbal skills, and language skill take you far.
4. “I’ll do anything for a woman with a knife.” James Bond on Caution
This quote from License to Kill gives a bit of insight into when to tread carefully.
James knows it’s wise to give the woman with the knife the center stage for a time—so that he has time to formulate an escape plan.
5. “Don’t forget my pathetic love of country.” James Bond on Why Country is Important
This lesson from Skyfall is an ongoing theme in the James Bond canon.
Whether it’s country, queen, or your family, find something worth fighting for.
6. “Give me the old fashioned target range, Quartermaster.” James Bond on Innovation
In Die Another Day, Bond yearns for the old ways. Learning from traditional methods and employing classic tactics is nothing to be ashamed of.
Sometimes a little glue and duct tape go a lot further than a bunch of fancy gadgets.
7. “I have a slight inferiority complex.” James Bond on Humility
Here in Goldfinger, James teaches us the importance on admitting our flaws—so that we can better overcome them. His answer? Carry a gun.
8. “Well, I’m an early riser myself.” James Bond on Making the Most of a Day
In A View to a Kill James used this line to flirt—but it’s also indicative of how the famous spy finds time to train, learn new techniques, and find time for extracurricular activities.
9. “I have no armor left.” James Bond on Vulnerability
One of the best ways to learn something about another person is to open up. Casino Royale shows us James at one of his most vulnerable states; let yourself shed a little armor once in a while.
10. “Someone always dies.” James Bond on the Circle of Life
In Skyfall, Bond reminds us of our own mortality, the mortality of our loves ones, and the mortality of our enemies. A greater respect for life can help you when making life-and-death decisions.
11. “Alright, keep your hair on!” James Bond on Staying Cool
The world famous spy reminds us here in For Your Eyes Only that overreacting isn’t helpful. Keep a level head when in intense situations.
12. “Youth is no guarantee of innovation.” James Bond on Respecting Elders
In Skyfall, Bond reminds us that being young doesn’t necessarily mean better, and that old doesn’t mean spent.
13. “It was the job we were chosen for.” James Bond on Commitment
Keeping with the theme of loyalty to country, here in Goldeneye Bond reminds Alec that he’s in his profession because he was meant to be. Own what you’re doing to succeed at it.
20. “I’ve never lost.” James Bond on Consistency
While it in itself was a film inconsistent with the franchise, this quote from Never Say Never Again inspires us to set goals for ourselves and stay consistent.
15. “Why is it that people who can’t take advice always insist on giving it?” James Bond on Getting Advice
Here in Casino Royale Bond give us insight on advice. Remember to stay humble.
16. “Don’t think. Just let it happen.” James Bond on Instinct
This quote from The Living Daylights is the other half of Bond’s success. He plans and he reacts in the same moment.
17. “There’s always something formal about the point of a pistol.” James Bond on Weaponry
When it comes to guns, Bond sums it up in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.
Weapons are powerful and deserve respect and care.
18. “In my business, you prepare for the unexpected.” James Bond on Foresight
This quote from License to Kill reminds us to always be looking for the things others didn’t think of.
19. “This is my second life.” James Bond on Living Life to the Fullest
In You Only Live Twice, Bond is given a second shot at life.
When motivated to change your life, take the opportunity.
20. “The world is not enough.” James Bond on Potential
From The World is Not Enough, Bond reminds us that we, as humans, aspire to do and be so much.
You can achieve anything and everything.
21. “The name’s Bond. James Bond.” James Bond on Self
The classic catchphrase is an important reminder to always stay true to yourself.
Click the “Play” button to learn more!